Are you worried about memory loss? The good news is that there are concrete ways to improve your memory for the long term and sharpen your memory right now.
The Mayo Clinc website says this about normal, everyday things that you may forget:
“You’re not alone. Everyone forgets things occasionally. Still, memory loss is nothing to take lightly. Although there are no guarantees when it comes to preventing memory loss or dementia, memory tricks can be helpful. Consider seven simple ways to sharpen your memory — and know when to seek help for memory loss.”
1. The common human brain is not very good in recalling abstract ideas such as digits and numbers. This is one of the most common things that separate those with photographic memories from those with average memory. The most important thing to remember in order to recall some hard data is to create an association and linkages that shall facilitate memory.
This is why almost anyone with an average brain can also significantly enhance their skills to remember objects using mnemonics. While creating a memory temple, as an example, requires a person to recall more, by relating the things that need to be remembered with other things such as emotions, metal strikes etc. The more you build mental links, the more likely you will be able to retrieve information.
2. There are numerous products available in several health stores or online catalogue that can help you improve your memory. Most of these supplements are actually tutorials that will help you to learn mnemonic techniques while some are fake capsules.
3. One effective technique to remember a person’s name is to search for the person when you are being introduced and say the words: “Nice to meet you, John.”
4. Try to recall the sequence of a deck of standard playing cards. Even though this may seem like a nonsense job, it can also help you to search for more memory techniques that your brain can use.
5. Try a group of items on a table. Study them for at least 30 seconds. Take them all away and write down all the things that you actually recall. Increase the number of objects to increase level. Or get a friend to find the items on the table; this will make the level higher and harder for your brain to recall.
6. Try putting a black ink at the far end of your palm to recall any important object you have in mind. Whenever you spotted the black ink, you will recall what you need.
7. Picture what you have to do as a part of something you see or experience every day. As an example, if you have to take your dog for a checkup, picture your dog in your door every time you walk through or past it. This will keep the idea fresh in your mind.
8. Write any event or idea immediately. If you don’t have a pencil and a paper, one good method you can do is to change the time of your wrist watch, later on you will recall why it is set at the wrong time. Or you can also wear it reversed.
9. Jot down a diary or a journal everyday without fail. Even small events should be documented. This is a good method to ensure that you are not missing anything.
10. Record a telephone message that will remind yourself that you have something important to do.
11. Try to memorize your favorite poem or a song until you can repeat it in your own words easily.
12. If you have noticed that you often forget something at an instant, talk to your doctor immediately. Sometimes, little acts of forgotten tasks can be some signs of diseases such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
13. In purchasing a memory supplement, be very wise. Find out all information that you can about how that program or product works with your brain systems and find for real testimonials.
There you go. Now you have quite a few ways to help you improve your memory. If you use these exercises, you will sharpen your brain right now, and you will be building long term brain health.